Looking for a show about powerful witches charged with saving the world from the forces of evil? Then do I have the show for you! It’s called Charmed. But wait, there’s more! The iconic show is going have a reboot!
Article by Rebecca Fultz
For some fans of the original show, this isn’t the best news to receive. Charmed ran for eight seasons on The WB, which later became The CW, from 1998 to 2006. Since the show’s last episode was in 2006, many fans believe it is not old enough to warrant a reboot.
Warning: This article contains some spoilers.
Charmed follows the Halliwell sisters Prue, Piper, and Phoebe. They are known as “The Charmed Ones.” Their birth has been foretold through a prophecy stating that three sisters would be the most powerful good witches to ever exist and that it would be up to them to save the world.
- Prue Halliwell, played by Shannen Doherty (Heathers, Beverly Hills, 90210), is the oldest and at first works as an appraiser for an auction house and later as a photographer for a magazine. With the power of telekinesis, she also develops the power to astral project.
- Piper Halliwell, played by Holly Marie Combs (Picket Fences, Pretty Little Liars), works as a chef and then becomes the owner of a nightclub. She has the power to freeze time and people. In later seasons, she develops the power to explode evil entities and objects with her hands.
- Phoebe Halliwell, played by Alyssa Milano (Who’s The Boss, Melrose Place), becomes a famous columnist, a news reporter, and author. She is the youngest and has the power of premonition at first, then later also develops the power of levitation and empathy. While each sister has their own unique powers, they all have the ability to make potions and cast spells.
- They have a younger, long lost sister named Paige Matthews, played by Rose McGowan (Scream, Jawbreaker, Grindhouse), who appears in the show when Prue dies in the season 3 finale. She becomes a full-time Whitelighter (a guardian angel type) and recruiter for a magic school. Paige is the love child of Patty Halliwell and her Whitelighter Sam Wilder. Paige has the power of telekinesis, but has to verbally call the object she wants to teleport or orb. She later develops the ability to orb herself and others, and to heal others by touch. All of the sisters struggle with keeping their supernatural powers and identities a secret.
What’s happened recently with Charmed
The CW has already cast the roles of the sisters for the reboot.
- Madeleine Mantock (Into The Badlands, The Tomorrow People, The Edge of Tomorrow) will play the role of Macy Vera, the oldest sister who is a geneticist and has the power of telekinesis.
- Melonie Diaz (The Cobbler, The Belko Experiment, Lords of Dogtown) will play Mel Vera, the middle child who is an activist and lesbian with the ability to freeze time.
- Sarah Jeffery (Wayward Pines, Descendants, Shades of Blue) rounds out the cast being the youngest sister Maggie Vera who is a college freshman and has the ability to hear people’s thoughts.
This reboot is looking to be one of the most anticipated shows on The CW. There are, however, pros and cons to any reboot.
- It’s a way for Charmed to reach the next generation
- There will be new story arcs and characters to fall in love with
- There will be better graphics with advances in technology
- The main cast is more inclusive and diverse
- Some of the former stars of the show aren’t sold on the idea of a reboot
- Loyal fans of the original show may not watch the reboot
- With such a mass cult following, the pressure for the reboot to succeed can be its undoing
- With The CW network being so superhero-driven with its shows, it’s possible this reboot won’t get the attention it needs to succeed
Much is still not known about the show’s plot but, I am cautiously excited. Reboots have a tendency to not show what was promised but, then again, these are new characters with new stories to tell. As a Charmed fan, I am optimistic about this reboot and hopefully this article will persuade you to give it a chance.
Featured image credit: Spelling Television, Paramount Television